Author Topic: The IdeaMines Mission  (Read 382 times)

Offline Aafaque Ehsen

• Administrator
  • Still a work in progress . . .
    • View Profile
The IdeaMines Mission
« on: September 28, 2017, 07:47:53 PM »

The IdeaMines Mission

They say brevity is the soul of wit.

If the above aphorism is generally applicable, our mission may be stated in a single composite word: knowledge-sharing.

My friend of 43 years standing, Naseer Akhtar says I am long-winded and love to repeat myself ad infinitum. The trouble with Naseer Akhtar is that he hasn't read Norman Mailer's "Advertisements for Myself."

That aside put aside, I can now dwell upon the details of our mission.

I have said elsewhere that Pakistan particularly, and the South Asian region generally, is abjectly poor in libraries. One of the components of the IdeaMines mission is to make available subject specific online reading rooms to genuine seekers of knowledge from our region and beyond.

Another component of the IdeaMines mission is to provide the maximum diversity of perspectives within the ambit of a given subject.

A third component of the IdeaMines mission is to make available, via our subject specific online reading rooms, rare textual, graphical and audio-visual material of historical and academic value to our audiences.

Pakistan particularly, and the South Asian region generally, is blighted with twin afflictions: the gloom of ignorance and tunnel vision.

In sum, the IdeaMines Mission is to be the light at the end of the tunnel.